The Salesian Secondary College Parents’ Association is open to all parents in the school.
An AGM takes place at the beginning of the school year (October) to elect the officers of the association for that year.
Executive members for school year 2012/2013: Chairperson is Catherine Fitzgerald (086 108 7679) and Secretary Armelle Mangan (087 237 9130). The PA is affiliated to the National Parents Council Post Primary.
During the academic year 2010-11 the PA bank accounts were transferred to the School’s bank accounts. All treasury matters are now dealt with by the school. For fundraising events, an ad hoc treasurer takes over the money which is then given to the school.
The primary aims of the PA are:
The advancement of the moral, mental, social and cultural well-being of the students of the Salesian Secondary College.
To represent the interests of parents of students attending the school.
To promote good relationships between parents and the school’s Board of Management, the Principal and the teachers.
- Advises the Principal and Board on any matter regarding the school (two parents represent the PA on the Board of Management)
- The election to nominate the Parents’ Representatives to the Board of Management takes place every 3 years). For the year 2012-2013: Killian O´Leary and Armelle Mangan
- Makes representations to the school on issues of policy.
- Adopts a program of activities that will promote the involvement of parents in the management of the school – eg: fundraising events and guest speakers.
- Supports and encourages individual parents to become more involved in the education of their children.
- Develops partnership for parents in education at the level of the school.
- Fundraises for the school through events such as: Bosco Tea Party, Fashion Show and Golf Classic.
- Helps the school organise school events where parents or members of the public are invited, such as musicals
- Chooses and invites guest speakers to speak to parents/students on topics such as teenage years, bullying etc.
COMMUNICATION WITH PARENTS AND MEETINGS
All activities of PA such as meetings, guest speakers, fund-raising events, etc… are communicated to the parents through the Tutor News, Face Book page of the school, emails and at time texts.
STRUCTURE OF MEETINGS
All parents are invited to meetings as well as Paddy O’Neill, a reminder is also sent by mail and text to parents who have signed up to be active members of the PA.
Meetings take place 2 to 3 times per term in the school in the evening.
Minutes of all meetings are kept by the secretary who presents the minutes to the PA for approval at a subsequent PA meeting. Minutes and agenda are available on request to the secretary.
The procedure for parents to raise an issue to PA is to communicate first with the chairperson. The chairperson and secretary decide on the agenda according to issues raised.
For each event organised by the PA, or events where the school requires help from the parents, the PA forms sub-committees that manage the event entirely and communicate directly with the parents.
Committees can be formed of members of the PA and staff from the school.
Each committee organizes their own meetings separate from the main PA meetings and gives a progress report at the main PA meeting.
For more information on Guidelines for Parents Association Constitution, see link http://www.npcpp.ie/setting-up-a-parents-association.html
Our schools mission is to provide the best possible education based on Christian/Catholic values in partnership with parents and within a caring community. This school incorporates the characteristics of Salesian Education as practised by St John Bosco. Read more...
Salesian Secondary College
Don Bosco Road
Phone: +353 (061) 393105
Fax: +353 (061) 393298
Reception Opening times
Monday – Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm
School Opening times
Monday, Wednesday & Friday:
9.00am to 3.20pm
Tuesday & Thursday:
9.00am to 4.00pm